Yoga Vidya International

Community on Yoga, Meditation, Ayurveda and Spirituality

Find out which Asana (posture) is best for meditation. How to hold your legs and your hands.
Basically you can differentiate the following Asanas: 
  • Cross-legged positions (Padmasana, Siddhasana, Swastikasana, Sukhasana, Muktasana)
  • Kneeling positions (Vajrasana)
  • Sitting on a Chair
Please contribute freely: Any questions on Meditation posture? Any advice?

Tags: meditation, murda, posture, pranayama, sitting

Views: 1829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Video: Sitting postures for Meditation and Pranayama. This Video is in German - but the visuals are international. You might want to fastforward to 45' .

It is important to sit straight for meditation and Pranayama. A good teacher can help: He can gently push the shoulders back and down. An he can push forward the upper back - you can sit much straighter in this way.

It is important that the head is straight in Meditation pose. I find aspirants who have meditated for a number of years - and hold their head too hight, too low, or to the right or to the left. It is a good idea to ask somebody else to check one's head posture. And of course, any Yoga Teacher should make sure the head is held straight.

Hand Position for Meditation: If your mind wanders or feels drowsy during meditation, try to hold the hands above the navel, as in the following photo:

Dear Sukadev,

Asanas make the body flexible so that a practitioner could remain long time for a particular posture and if he is comfortably sit for a 3-4 hours can go for meditation other wise taking support of belt or whatever other stuffs can disturb him/her to be in meditation and hence it is very clearly advised in "Astangayoga" of Yogsutra of Maharshi Patanjali and that are as follows.

Yama, Niyama, Asana, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dhyan, Dharana and Samadhi. So what I felt and come to understand that people do not follows the initail subject but start doing meditation that is I think not good for those who really want to be in Yoga. So please give a thought why it is set like this and why not in an opposite or some other way.

Generally, it is seen that meditation is practiced with Mudras i.e. Dhyan Mudra or Gyan Mudra and that are good to be with but mind it when you already in meditation state then mudra or postures do not affect because he is cut off with external world.

-Kriayananda Maharshi Dayananda

RSS

Yoga Vidya

Bookmark Us

© 2017   Yoga Vidya | Contact   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service