Is meditation dangerous?

I have heard that meditation can be dangerous. Is that true? One of our Facebook friends asked this question and received the following replies. Do you have anything to add to this? Bobby: as dangerous as breathing Claire: I believe that meditation frees your mind, body and spirit. Is freedom dangerous ? Agus: In my opinion isn't true. I always do meditation and it makes me fresh my mind, etc n meditation can make ur mind n health more better. Clara: It may be considered dangerous to some who don't want to face their own emotional baggage. But overall, it is a good way to move on this and live to be your authentic self. Zu: I love yoga n meditation..they make me relax n think positively Anusha: Yes, without proper guidance it is dangerous. When i was a teen i tried meditation once at home in front of a lamp. I went too deep into it and people around me were calling me and i couldn't respond. I couldn't feel my body and i though...t i was dead. I didn't know how to put my soul into my body. I couldn't move my arms and legs. I became conscious after maybe 1 minute. Went to a person who does meditation regularly and told him about the incident. Then according to his advice I learnt it properly and now i can come out that stage at ease.

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There are lots of benefits from meditation - physical and mental! If you are concerned, start with a teacher in a group. It should be very safe in that environment.
  • OM

Anything done to excess can be dangerous. To prepare your mind for meditation, practice yama, niyama, asana and pranayama on a regular basis. Begin slowly, practice regularly, never give up!
  • Meditation cannot be dangerous but the ways you perform or practice could be a reason of danger.

So, one should go according to the guidelines provided by his Sadgurudev.

One should also have the knowledge of following terms and must bring into practice in his daily life style to reach in meditation are as follow:

1. Self-determination with full of devotion and faith on yourself your Sadgurudev and your sadhan of meditation(yoga)
    2. Continuity

Meditation is a spiritual sadhana and that can be done under a proper guidance of a Sadgurudev otherwise you will be doing just sitting and trying to concentrate on your mind which is not sufficient at all because meditation means to change the states of mind, body and soul. So there are 7 stages as Baikhari, Madhyama, Pasyanti, Atala, Prana, Nirbija and Mansa and one has to achieve the stages step by step by followed by other guidelines.

Therefore, it should be understood clearly that sitting for a 15-20 minutes and concentrating on a provided target do not cover all parameters to get the benefits of meditation as divine/spiritual power. However, it could be a way to start on for meditation but in my way, meditation it is a process to be out of thoughts than concentrating on a photo or target.

-Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda
  • if one wants to meditate without fear of anythinging "bad" happening one should have a pure heart (devoted to ones aspect of the Divine) Only meditate to acheive peace, love , enlightenment. Use a mantra of the name of the lord such as Rama, krishna, tara etc, or meditate on a concept of beauty or a form of the divine or an enlightned saint. Then meditation can have no harm. Often people get into meditation because they have other desires than the divine. Then problems may arise.
  • In my opinion, meditation is the best thing that we can do for ourselves and the world. The second best is savasana.
  • My friend,

To many prisoners, freedom seems dangerous. Please do meditate and experience freedom.
This reply was deleted.