What is the best way to decide which mantra to use for meditation?
This question was asked by one of our Facebook friends and received several answers. Do you have any other comments?
Shoumava: Guru is the ideal person who gives Mantra with deeksha or advice and blessing. Generally OM is a perfect mantra for meditation and helps activate the sahashrar chakra. You can use beeja mantras of various lords like Krishna, Durga, Shiva etc or gayatri mantra for meditation. The pronunciation of mantra should be proper and counting is essential, 108 is considered an auspicious number for chanting mantras
http://www.yogapoint.com/tantrayoga/mantrayoga.htm for more information refer this page
Ira: any word...from with u can connect ur heart...
Kireet: 1) The Deity or God whom you are naturally attracted to. Say, if you like Durga Ma, then you should go for one of the Durga Mantras
2) The qualities you want to develop. If you want strength and Power - then Durga Mantra, if Love , the Kris...hna Mantra, if u want to be a do gooder then Hanuman Mantra, etc
3) The Mantra should not be too long.
4) It should have profound meaning on which you can meditate.
5) For meditation I find the Durga Mantra the best.
6) Also you can repeat "Loka Samastha Sukhino Bhawantu" which is not a mantra but a prayer for Happiness of all.