- It balances Vata and kapha
- It cleanses the system
- It digests the ama (undigested food)
- It has anti-oxidant properties and improves immunity
- It is a very good appetizer
- It is good for common cold and asthma
- It is good for heart
- It reduces serum cholesterol
- It relieves constipation
- It relieves gas
- It relieves morning sickness in pregnant women
- It relieves pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis
Ginger - 25 gm
Garlic - 50 gm
Onion - 50 gm
Ghee - ¼ teaspoon
Corn flour - ½ teaspoon
Pepper powder - 1 pinch
Cumin powder - 1 pinch
Coriander powder - 1 pinch
Broccoli leaves- for garnishing
Grate the ginger, peel onion and garlic and chop them. On a pan, put little ghee and sauté the onion, garlic and ginger. Add water and boil in a simmer for ½ an hour. Put it in a food processor and collect the soup. Add corn flour and boil until it thickens. Add pepper, cumin, andcoriander powder and finally garnish the soup with broccoli leaves andthen serve.
Read more: Ginger Garlic Soup http://www.medindia.net/alternativemedicine/ayurvedaanddiet/Ayurvedic-Soups/Ginger-Garlic-soup.asp#ixzz0xn1lJeCr
"A bit of these foods can be used in meals with little ill effect and good enhancement of flavor. A couple of cloves of garlic per week, for example, would not be considered overboard at all by most Ayurvedic physicians.
Healing herbs in Ayurveda
Garlic is a very popular herb which is often used for its flavouring properties in food preparations and as a wonder drug to treat an array of ills.
* A proven broad spectrum antibiotic that combats bacteria, intestinal parasites and viruses. [In high doses its reported to have cured encephalitis]
* Lowers Total cholesterol, LDL cholesterol and Triglycerides while increasing HDL cholesterol. [The sulphur containing compounds in garlic -alliin and allicin - are believed to be responsible for altering cholesterol production by the liver.]
* An anticoagulant to prevent thrombotic events, including stroke and myocardial infarction. [Garlic has fibrinolytic activity, inhibits platelet aggregation and reduce blood viscosity.]
* Reported to lower blood pressure in hypertensive patients
* Reduces blood sugar level by increasing the release of insulin or enhancing the response to insulin.
* Contains multiple anti-cancer compounds and antioxidants and tops the American National Cancer Institutes list as a potential cancer preventive food. [Aged garlic extract is supposed to improve this benefit]
* A good cold medication. Acts as a decongestant, expectorant, antispasmodic, anti inflammatory agent.
In addition to the above, Garlic has been used in Ayurveda for a wide range of illnesses either alone or in combination with other herbs.
My best regards,
Garlic and Onion is not a satvic food, is it ok? i think is not advisable for yogis..