A mountaineer standing at the pinnacle of a mountain can look down and see all the paths he
could have taken to secure the zenith, and from his lofty perspective is capable
of mapping these routes.

Can the same be achieved by a person somewhere en route or is this a recipe for endlessly
exploring many dead ends?

Is it even possible to attain "Yoga" whilst deviating from the ancient, clear and precise practices of each of the paths to
Yoga?

Is "Modern Yoga Practice" a path to "Yoga"?

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Dear Saradananda Jee,

I would only say that Modern Yoga Practice" is totally concerned about fitness and health where as YOGA is completely a path of SADHANA to receive Divine knowledge in order to make our life happy and know about self spiritually and that can be received through a Sadguru.

Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda
  • The age old quest for the guru, is difficult to vanquish, it's like looking for the looking glasses while they are stuck on ones head!

Even the teacher, can only teach, can show, guide maybe lead, but the student has to do the walking and TRUST the teacher, if the teacher is a human being.... yes he/she might be still him/herself a student, who knows.

There is the concept of Jagadguru, the omnipresent, all pervading Guru, the Mahamegateacher in everything and everyone, otherwise the whole concept of Brahman, Atman, Jiva, Paramatman, Sri Krshna and the Gopis, Brahma, Vishnu Shiva, Father the Son and the Holy Spirit and, and, and....would be only an empty shell.

(Vrndavan Loka is near Mathura... a local bus will take one there, but the real journey takes more then a ticket, for a few rupees)

If one knows how to listen, sticks to the eight limbs of yoga especially the fourth part of the second limb "Niyama" - Svadhyaya - or Self Examination!

Observe, read, study, practice, reflect, review
    and observe your progress so that you may see yourself more clearly.

You, me, he, her, him... One, oneself has to take it up and go ahead, no one can take someones destiny in his/her hands - except, well we leave this for later.

And yes, no idle talk, practice, practice, practice there is so much do to, a whole universe full of task's and joy!

Practice conscious communication through speech, writing, gesture, and actions. Consider what you say, how you say it and in what way it could affect others.

Stick to the rules, self examine yourself on a daily, better continuing base, develop awareness, Self-awareness, keep the head, mind and heart clear of the fogs of sorrow, don't get lost in the swamps of wild emotions, don't get caught in the cobwebs of demand and desire, stay clear of the "want's" and wishes, whispering at you.... "hey try me, taste me, have me, take me, get me...!"

the other for rules/vows are:

Saucha - Purity
    Maintain cleanliness of body, mind and surroundings.

Santosha
    - Contentment
    Practice being comfortable with what you have and what you do not have. Embrace all experiences as opportunities to learn and grow.

Tapas - Discipline
    Increase the heat that burns impurities through practices that keep your body/mind fit and healthy: proper sleep, exercise, nutrition, work, and relaxation.

....Svadhyaya.. (as above...)

Isvara pranidhana -- Surrender of the self.
    Acknowledgement that there is a higher principle in the universe than one's self. Modesty. Humility.

Study, Awareness be kind, humble, take care and practice, "chopping wood and carrying water", daily chores, like work, taking care of the household, raising kids... the lot, is part of the practice!, Karma Yoga

The other five vows are:

Ahimsa -- Non-violence.
    Satya -- Truthfulness
    Asteya -- Non-stealing
    Brahmacarya -- Sexual responsibility
    Aparigraha -- Abstention from greed

similar to the ten commandments... easy to follow and a very good teacher, to observe yama and niyama alone, will keep oneself rather busy, then, only then asana can follow....

"When a yogin becomes qualified by practicing Yama and Niyama, then the yogin
    can proceed to asana and the other means." -- Yoga Bhashya Vivarana (II.29)

Asana then is followed by Pranayma, then Pratyaahara (withdrawal of the senses,chatter of the mind, and harness it's power, direct it onto Oneness, one point), to prepare for Dharana (collected, concentrated, resolved, united, maintain, holding steady, with out effort.....) this will prepare for Dhyana - Meditation, deep immersed fixation of the mind, absolute awareness, non wavering consciousness- one without a second....then one day, maybe with right effort and right self tuning through yoga one may experience the state of Samadhi - til then.... keep "chopping wood and carrying water"!

have a nice day, every day, don't wobble, never despair, keep on going, practice, practice, practice..!

namastasje!
  • To assist in the spiritual assent,a guide is most helpful,now..before we pick the first guide /guru that comes along, some discernment is needed,how do we know this guide has actually arrived at the peak?He could just be another charlatan out for a quick buck and a power trip to boost his ego..So how do we discern? By dropping the mental habits and resting in our heart centre, the inner tutor will arise and lead us to the correct teacher.
    Instead of blindly following the other seekers, we have to carve out our own unique path, to arrive at the universal peak..Next topic should be how to let go of the mind and discover the Atman the seat of consciousness..?
    all is well.
  • Hi, in my humble opinion it is necessary to find a yoga master and to follow her path exactly.

Ohterwise its impossible to reach the summit.

Its the same with the mountaineer. Before she climbs the mountain she must chose one of the paths and and stay on the path until she reached her goal.

Om sri Kali namaha
This reply was deleted.