Mantras only in Sanskrit?

Mantras are words of power used in Meditation, for recitation, for chanting. Usually I am told Mantras should be recited in Sanskrit. I noticed that some Indian teachers pronounce Mantras in Hindi, some in Bengali. And the Sikh Mantras in the 3HO Kundalini Yoga tradition are again in another language. Can Mantras be in any language? Even in German and English? What is your opinion??

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Mantras can certainly be concocted or tailor-made........BUT with the ATTENDANT risk of GENERATING UNKNOWN/HARMFUL ENERGY FIELDS/VIBRATIONS/MANIFESTATIONS........................:-) SO, IT'S MOST USEFULLY ADVISABLE TO PRACTISE ONLY THE TIME-TESTED MANTRAS/HYMNS HANDED DOWN FROM GENERATIONS TO GENERATIONS IN YOUR FAITH/RELIGION/TRADITION...................!
  • Mantras are basically made from words, a sentence that has a specific meaning and that works through its sound and how effectively you do it. On the other hand there are some mantras which do not have any meaning and that has been created by Nath Community as such Guru Gorakhnath, Masteyandra Nath etc. It is a very poerty type that are called "Sabar Mantra" and they are very powerful till date.

And Pure Vedic time mantra has got no meaning yet it is so powerful but that can only be received by fate or by Gurukripa. So in our Bharatvarsha in Treta Yug or Dwaper Yug or before that the most used language was Sanskrit and this sanskrit language is also translated from original Vedha and they were mostly happend in this region only. So Yoga is also a great heritage of Bharatvarsha provided by great Sages and obviously these all developed in Sanskrit only.

There are also mantras are in Muslim, Buddhist, Jain, Sikh etc.

So, what ever languages you talk in your material life are also mantras and common talk is also mantra because it works So as there are specific languages for a particular God or Goddess to get their powers and it really works. Similarly, awakening of Kundalini Chakra it is needed and that are very specific. But so far as meditation and mantra are concerned are totally two things, and while mantra chanting you cannot be in meditation but this is in only initial stage. But if you are arleady in Meditation state you do not require mantra chanting except for a special ritual.

Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda
    头条 - 第一区块链{etc.so}
    第一区块链{etc.so}
  • Salutations my divine Michael Linde

Mantras that comes from India are only in Sanskrit, it words have great power. In other Indian Language, they do not have mantras but hymns. Hymns are song of praise to God/Goddess, thus helps to expand the heart chakra, but Mantra help invoke the God/Goddess within.

Namaste

Namaste
  • Sanskrit and other Indian languages which has Sanskrit as its roots, have been constructed scientifically. The sounds in these systems correspond to the our own self and our existence. Mantras are constructed with attention to these details and their utterance therefore, as prescribed by their composers, impacts oneself and one's environment. Which is why, many mantras do not have 'meanings' - they may simply be a combination of sounds.

This is not about the language system which we know by the name 'Sanskrit'. If there are other language systems that are constructed scientifically, they may also be used to create effective mantras. Importantly then, if you wish to use mantras effectively, you need to pay more attention to the science of sound than the language they emanate from.
  • Blah, Blah, Blah, The Maha mantra has no rules ... Hare Krishna.
    • Hi, i mean if u say some words again and again, that make u feel better, that put a smile on ur face, that expresses love to the universe that clean and relax ur spirit than there are no rules for this words. If they are in german, engilsh or hopi language or any other language.

Om shanti Eduard
  • yes , all about mantras u can find on-

www.achintya.in
    http://www.achintya.in/
  • An interesting question.

To try and find answer to this, let us understand what is mantra.

Mananat -trayate iti Mantrah. translated to Mananat (with contemplation of mind) trayate (protects). That is Mantra is defined as what protects you with contemplation. While contemplating you talk to your inner self; your own pure innerself. On contemplation your mind settles, emotions and intellect stops ... then you are in dialogue with your own innerself.

That can be in any language; it does not even need a language. Advantage with Sanskrit is that we escape from subjectivity of our regular language of communication. With our regular language of communication, mind and intellect gets active and distract from harmony
    question.to
    This domain may be for sale!
  • Om Namah Shivaya

It is a good question and in my spontaneous reaction I find myself voting for a position which maybe is a bit peculiar: I would not mind to hear the mantras in any Indian language/dialect because I imagine that all the types of Indian languages are derived from Sanskrit. Hindi I understand as the most direct modern successor of Sanskrit.

And I would deeply reject to repeat the mantras in English or German. Not only when I think of the English rule during the colonial period still being a delicate point for many Indians. And the English and the German people = all the same, hu (:-))) at that time, yes I think so, if the Germans had been able to conquer such a hugh empire as the rather small English nation did they would have acted accordingly, any Western European nation of that period being obsessed of occupying the very last 'white' spots at the map of the world (see Scramble for Africa!!).

And even if I take away that thought of colonial action I would not find it nice to hear Mantras in English or German, I love the charme of Sanskrit too much... it seems holy to me.

Om Om Om
This reply was deleted.