Mantras only in Sanskrit?

Mantras are words of power used in Meditation, for recitation, for chanting. Usually I am told Mantras should be recited in Sanskrit. I noticed that some Indian teachers pronounce Mantras in Hindi, some in Bengali. And the Sikh Mantras in the 3HO Kundalini Yoga tradition are again in another language. Can Mantras be in any language? Even in German and English? What is your opinion??

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sorry I have joined late for this discussion.

Every recitation has a special tune and tone. Such Maathras, tune and tone combinations can only be achieved in the language the Mantra is created.
    Sanskrit language has the highest degree of attennuation in its characters.
    If a mantra is recited in with the right tone and tune with correct Maathras the effect will be clearly perceivable.

It is believed and believable that the Pranava Mantra too has its particular tune and Octat and tone as well Maatra.

The Pranava Mantra OM - or AUM is supposed to be the result of the beginning and ending of makig a sound through mouth.
    The moment one opens mouth and created noise - the sound is O or AU . It will be impossible to make any other sound without making an effort.
    Similarly while continue to making the same sound and if the mouth is closed the syllable that comes out is 'mmmm'

As such OM or AUM is th beginning and end of all sounds. That is why it is called Paranava Mantram - or all pervading sound. If chanting of just OM / AUM is done properly the frequency and the sound wave cereated would travel long distances undisterurbed.
    When hundreds of people chant Mantras with correct Tone and Tune and with correct pronouciation the effect will be felt far and wide.
    That is why it is believed when Yangna is conducted correctly following all the rules and the mantracs recited properly the environment gets cleaned. All creatures, birds and animals experience Peace and Happiness.

So Mantras should be recited correctly in the original tune and tone and with proper Maatras and correct pronounciation.
    Then the effect on ones Body and Mind will be hundred fold.

• I like the way you explained. .

Namaste
      Karunamoy Sur
  • hi you will get your answer in www.achintya.in

om shanti
    http://www.achintya.in/
  • One aspect of mantra is that the power (shakti) behind mantra and words are in the vibration of the sounds. If we use the traditional chakra tattwa system we see that letters(sound vibration) manifest at each chakra level and on the petals of the chakra. So no matter what language a mantra is in it is the vibrational quality of the sounds that effect the chakras, and by correspondence, certain brain centers of sahasrar chakra, emotions and mind. I am only speaking on the vibrational quality of a mantra and not its meaning. It is said that each vibration is associatd with a certain deity or manifestaion of the divine. There are many uses of mantra; classical tantra names ten uses, only one of which is for enlightenment. There is also the practice of self-empowerment or affirmation use of mantra or power words etc. Classical mantra use brings one to the beyond state and samadhi; self empowerment is used for self improvement and worldly gain etc.
  • I think an important point that what matters is the intention of the heart of who recites the mantra. But I prefer the singing or recitation of kirtans in Sanskrit. I feel a very spiritual and rich language that there is no language that could replace
  • It is true that real pronounciation of Mantra can only be done if somebody knows Sanskrit . But actual thing is one should have to be a true devotee to elevate himself towards the Supreme Being and must practise the principles of self-control ,and detatchment towards wordly pleasure. If it is believed that only Sanskrit knowing people chanting Mantras can achieve God then it would be a wrong idea because then we would find saints, sages and prophets are coming out from Universities who are doing Masters Degree in Sanskrit . On the other hand there were many great sages in India who were often illiterate but actually knew the true essence of prema or devotion.
    Sri Ramakrishna belong to this category and used to say ' I neither know any mantra or tantra, but only know to call You by the name MOTHER'. Even Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, who was a great scholar of Sanskrit said that you cannot achive God just memorising mantras and scriptures- but you have to devolop the divine love for Sri Krishna from your heart and chant the holy name " HARE KRISHNA'.
    Even the greatest devotees of Sri Krishna were the cowherd damsels (gopinees) ,totally illiterate. When they were asked did they know who actually Sri Krishna was? Did they know that Krishna is the Lord and Creator of the Universe? They answered we know nothing about this and we are not interested to know what is written in scriptures about Him ?

The gopinees replied , "only thing we know about Sri Krishna is that He is our Beloved and Pran (life) and that is the only treasure we possess. When we wake up we think of Krishna , when we do our household duties we think of Krishna, when we cry and when we laugh we think of Krishna . Without the thought of Krishna , we are like the fish out of water "
    This form of Love of the Gopinees has been praised as the highest form of Bhakti or devotion by the sages

Namaste,
    Karynamoy Sur
  • Yes, it is possible for mantras to be in any language, however, they do not have the same vibrational frequency as the 'Language of the Gods' which was given to yogis in deep meditation thousands of years ago. Those incomprehensible sounds they heard in consciousness, they gradually came to understand created different effects in body and mind. Those same combinations chanted today still produce the same effects, enhanced by the weight of all the devotion of centuries of chanting.

Even when the Christian/Catholic Latin Mass was sung in English, they found that it did not have the same impact as in the original Latin. The same goes for mantra in any other language.

Warmly,
    Ramana Baba (Muz Murray)
  • I think the mantra should be recited in Sanskrit which is the original language, which were created and the vibration is ideal because it is a very rich language, for which we alcansan words, to translate and understand whole
    • you have got a very clear view. And I think there should not be any doubt about it.
This reply was deleted.