Replies

• For me, my favorite Yoga Book is my Sadgurudev Dr. Narayna Dutt Srimali (Paramhamsa Swami Nikhileshworananda Maharaj) Today I am Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda and it is only by the bless of him. I read only some of his book, like Meditation, and others.

Although, I have not met him physically but took a Dickcha Sansar from Trimurty Sadgurudev (Sri Nandakishore Srimali, Sri Kailash Chandra Srimali and Sri Arvinda Srimali.) they are son of Dr. Narayan Dutt Srimali, yet I got that spiritual guidance and he made me Kriyayogi. Can you imagine how it could be possible but it is true.

My every thing is Sadgurudev and I have a desire to work for him as Gurusewa and that could be in different way.

So book can only give you reference, authors feeling and experience but book cannot teach you itself at all.

Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda.
    http://true.My/
  • hi dear my first yoga book is Bhagwat gita, and you will wonder daily from last 20 years i read a chapter of srimad bhagwat gita. and each day its a new knowledge i get from it.

and i have read many books on yoga but best is after bhagwatgita, patanjali yogsutra
  • I can not stop to one book, but many...as the other members mentioned before, Bhagavad Gita, Patanjali's Yoga Sutra, and Raja Yoga by Vivekananda. I like many of Vivekananda's writings and not at least the Sivananda's collection.
  • Good question indeed. Bhagavad Gita is the book to be cherished and studied. The Yoga Sutra of Pantajali and for Hatha Yoga Swami Satyananda Saraswati Asana, Pranayama and Mudra Bandha book, it is a basic book with alote of information.
  • In the Bhakti Marga, Vaishnava, the first is the 'Bhagavad Gita'. I love 'Teachings of Lord Kapila, the Son of Devahuti', too.
    In Hatha Yoga, my first book, actually a booklet, was one called Selection of Exercises by Swami Pranavananda Saraswati. Then it came 'Forever Young, forever healthy' by Mataji Indra Devi, 'Hatha Yoga for Woman' by Zita Rajhavara, 'Cultura Física y Judo' by Dr. Serge Raynaud de la Ferrière, and so on.
    There are other books, unforgettable books one can mention from Sivananda, Yogananda, and other yoguis, but in order to speak in short, the philosophical 'Bhagavad Gita' is the most inspiring for me.
  • The book that first got me interested in yoga was ABC of Yoga by Kareen Zebroff - I grabbed the odd spiral-bound book off the shelf in my high-school library and for some unexplainable reason was drawn to the images so much that I knew I wanted to take it home and try it out.

A bit later, I found the Sivananda Companion to Yoga (originally in French and then in English) and that book became the foundation of my practice.

Finally, Le Hatha Yoga by Eva Ruchpaul is another book I like to look up occasionally because of its interesting insight on being a yogi and the beautifully inspiring pictures as well.

How about you Sukadev? If you got the ball rolling, you must have your own favourites....
  • This is a good and challenging question!
    If I have to choose one:
    Bhagavad Gita because it has everything contained in one volume.
    Others at a close second would be:
    Bliss Divine, Yoga Vasishta, Viveka Chudamani, Thought Power.
This reply was deleted.