Replies

• Dear Sir

There are a few things I am quite sure of (yes, it is all maya, but) and one of them is that I am a women. (So) In the moment the yoga book of "Patrica Walden and Linda Sparrow, Yoga (and Health) for Women", was and is the most important yoga book for me, as it answers my specific questions, which I have as a 'middled aged' woman.
    The book which some kind of initiated (or better re-voke, as I did yoga as child in school) my yoga path was a book by a female German/Swiss author "Milena Moser" called: "Schlampenyoga". You can translate the title with: 'yoga for ladies who are tramps' or being exact as 'b..ch yoga'. Mrs. Moser starts her book, telling, that after she moved to San Francisco with her husband and her three childs, burned out and desorientated, she started again with ashtanga yoga.
    She writes, that after not exercising for years, she couldn't move for two days and felt pain in muscles, she wasn't aware of that they even existed.
    These books are both rather practical and down to earth and made up for my specific needs as a woman so they suit me best.

Yours faithfully

Beatrix Mainz, Germany

PS: As English is not my mother language, please excuse every mistake appearing within this email.
  • The book that first got me interested in yoga meditation was "Autobiography of a Yogi," by Paramahansa Yogananda. You can find this book in 14 languages in most libraries and book stores. If you cannot find it, please go to Self-Realization Fellowship, Los Angeles, CA. Paramahansa Yogananda has written numerous books and lessons. He is a self-realized Master and the truth of his words brings the student closer to God. These writings overcome any division of culture, language, race, creed, etc. that separates us from The Infinite and our brothers and sisters throughout the world. Namaste, Sharon Kattke-Birchfield
  • Raja yoga by Swami Vivekananda......Blew my mind
    complete illustrated book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda....has it all. The genius is in his simplicity.
    I have over 300 yoga books on the shelves and they are all great
  • Sir,
    There is no specific book as first book.I read what ever yoga book which ever comes across with me. I am interested in
    yoga and meditation since my Boyhood days. i have no C.D's or D.V.D's with me. I have a Desk top computer and Internet
    connection.I search for sites related to these two topics. At this age I feel it is apt to Follow these Two i.e Yoga and
    Meditation for Physical and Mental health. As I am in 70's i do only those asanas which are easy and able to do within my ability daily in the morning about an Hour at my home and Meditation also for one Hour in the morning. I worked as a lecturer
    in govt colleges and retired,leading a peaceful life at present at my home in Hyderabad. I am very much Interested in this site namely
    "YOGA VIDYA INTERNATIONAL"which gives full details to my satisfaction Thanking you sir with regards
    Sd/sastry (bagawan_sastry@yahoo.co.in)
    HYDERABAD
  • "PARA UPADAESHA KUSHALA BAHUTAERAE"
    - Ramacharitamaanasa

1.It's easy to PREACH to others, but when it comes to practising the precepts/lessons/quotes/sayings by one's own self then it becomes very diificult to practise the same by one's own self.
    2.Any one who loves quoting kabir's famous saying that "Pothi padh padh jaga mua pandit bhaya na koi, Dai aakhar prem ka padhey so pandit hoy." MUST REMAIN FULLY AWARE THAT SHE/HE could find this saying from some POTHI[BOOK] only in the first place itself. and NOT from THIN AIR out there...! So, how can one devalue any book of the knowledge? We would not have come to know the instant saying by kabir IF THERE HAD BEEN NO POTHI[BOOK] containing this saying.
    Also, any one LOVING to quote THIS LOVELY quote by Kabir MUST ASK HER/HIM SELF HONESTLY - AM I MYSELF PRACTISING THIS VIRTUE IN MY OWN LIFE? DO I REALLY LOVE EVERY ONE AROUND? A HEART/MIND/SOUL fully SOAKED with LOVE SHALL SEE LOVE IN EVERY BEING AROUND...
    I give you a simple test to find out if you really are following this quote in your life or not?
    Ask - IF I AM FINANCIALLY CAPABLE, DO I DO SELFLESS WILLING CHARITY BY DONATING/USING 10% OF MY EARNINGS EVERY MONTH FOR FINANCIALLY NEEDY AND POOR PEOPLE OR DO I DONATE SOME OF THIS 10% CHARITY AMOUNT TO SOME SELFLESS NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS LIKE Yoga Vidya [WHICH IS a non-profit community group which aims at spreading the teachings of truth („vidya“), the practice, exercise and techniques of classical, holistic Yoga. Founded in 1992 in Frankfurt. The seat is now Döttesfeld. Yoga Vidya Centre Westerwald was founded in 1996 and Yoga Vidya Retreat Centre Bad Meinberg was founded in 2003.]? IF YOUR ANSWER IS 'YES', WELL YOU HAVE PASSED THIS TEST. ELSE, YOU ARE JUST ANOTHER"PARA UPADAESHA KUSHALA BAHUTARAE" TYPE SPIRITUAL SEEKER OF WHICH WE HAVE PLENTY...
    Another simple test which requires us spending no money. ASK - IF MY HEART HAS REALLY BECOME FULL WITH LOVE FOR EVERY ONE AND IF I HAVE MASTERED THE 2 AND A HALF WORDS OF LOVE, DO I LOVINGLY FEEL LIKE AND DO I INDEED ACCEPT OTHER SPIRITUAL SEEKERS AS THEY ARE AS MY FRIENDS WHEN THEY ADD ME AS THEIR FRIEND ON THIS YOGA-VIDYA YOGA SITE? IF YOUR ANSWER IS 'YES', YOU HAVE PASSED THE TEST OF LOVE SUCCESSFULLY. IF YOUR ANSWER IS A BIG 'NO', WELL MY DEAR FRIEND, HONESTLY AND LOVINGLY SPEAKING YOU STILL HAVE MILES TO GO AND MILES TO GO BEFORE YOU HAVE ANY MORAL RIGHT TO QUOTE SUCH LOVELY SAYINGS BY KABIR............................................:-)
  • i am busy in my mcp
  • 1. ANYONE who LOVES quoting KABIR must ALWAYS REMAIN aware of KABIR's FAMOUS SAYING - "DHAAE AKSHARA PRAEMA KAE [ 2 and a half WORDS of LOVE]" is the SIGN of a TRUE spiritual seeker. Anything done with a Divine feeling is the REAL YOGA - as is said. So, let us learn to accept the viewpoints of others with the Divine humility and Grace of a TRUE ASPIRING YOGEENEE/YOGEE...and not feel hurt.....!
    2. Who is to decide as to who is to interpret the TEXTS? Anyone with a critical bent of mind can interpret these texts rationally in the light of the EXPERIENCES....Even in one PURAANNA, it is clearly mentioned that - "No Two reshes [spiritual scientists] are reshes if their viewpoints match with each other." So, the SCOPE for diverse interpretations in the light of the EXPERIENCES [Spiritual] has already been provided in our ancient WISE texts.....! What may be your spiritual experience may not NECESSARILY be the same experience with other seeker. The other seeker may well have different quite VALID experiences...!
    3. So, all I can do is just SMILE...:-) at the DIVERSE views and different emotions springing out from the minds of different Spiritual seekers......May the Divine Mother give all spiritual seekers the EXCELLENT ability to interpret scriptures properly.....:-)
  • There is a very nice and meaningful quote and that is very self explanatory.

"Pothi padh padh jaga mua pandit bhaya na koi, Dai aakhar prem ka padhey so pandit hoy."

but please make it clear that I do not meaning that reading a book is not good but the truth is that you can only take the reference only and if you want to get the experience of the said book then you will have to follows according to its explanation but to guide the explanation in a right way you must needs such person who can guide you.

-Kriyananda Maharshi Dayananda
    • "PARA UPADAESHA KUSHAL BAHUTAERAE"

- Ramacharitamanas
      The above quote is self-explanatory...:-)
  • A. The spiritual journey tends to be a long one spread over numerous births/lives including the present one during the time which the true spiritual seeker learns and assimilates spiritual knowledge from numerous sources which may be people, books or some other experiences. So, it's really difficult to credit any single ENTITY for my spiritual progress. It just happened. On the way, I was blessed enough to learn from diverse sources and move on....DIVINE MOTHER HAS BEEN GUIDING ME ALL THE WHILE EVEN WHEN I HAD NOT BEEN BELIEVING IN HER/NOT FOLLOWING HER....SHE HAS BEEN MY BE ALL......ULTIMATELY, NOTHING CAN SUBSTITUTE ONE'S OWN INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCE. IT's NO USE OTHER'S SPLENDID SPIRITUAL EXPERIENCE IF WE OURSELVES HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED IT...THIS IS THE CRUX/BASIC AXIOM OF THE SPIRITUAL JOURNEY....!.

B.Following are some of the USEFUL BOOKS that I have read personally and found as a YOGA PRACTITIONER extremely useful:
    1. Hathayoga Prdeepekaa, Hindi language,Edited by Dr. Chamanlal Gautam, 2005 Edition, Sanskrte Sansthaana, Khwaazaakutub [Vednagar], Baraeli -243003 [ Uttar Pradesh].Phone: 474242
    2. Sheva Sanheta, Hindi language,Edited by Dr. Chamanlal Gautam, 2005 Edition, Sanskrte Sansthaana, Khwaazaakutub [Vednagar], Baraeli -243003 [ Uttar Pradesh].Phone: 474242
    3. Asalee Praacheena Sheva Svrodaya, Edited by Shivbhakt Baba Anurag Dass Jee,Hindi Language,2004 Edition, ISBN - 81-86955-86-0,Randhir Prakashan, Hardwar [India]
    4. Vevaeka Chuuddaamanne, by Aade Shankraachaarya, Hindi Language,Code Number 0133, Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    5. Upaneshada Anka, Hindi Language,8th Edition, Code Number 0659,ISBN 81-293-0166-0,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    6. Yogaanka, Hindi Language,8th Edition, Code Number 0616, ISBN 81-293-0048-6, Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    7. Yogavaasheshtha, Hindi Language, 16th Edition,Code Number 0574, ISBN 81-203-0158-X,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    8. Daevee Puraanna, Hindi Language, Code Number 1610,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    9. Aarogya Anka, Hindi Language Code Number 1592,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    10. Shakte Anka, Hindi Language, Code Number 0041,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    11. Paatanjalyayogaprdeepa, Hindi Language, Code Number 0047,Gita Press, Gorakhpur, India
    12. Gheranda Samhita, English Language,by Rai Bahdur Srisa Chandra Vasu, 1979 Edition, First Published in 1914-15, Sri Satguru Publications, 40/5, Shakti Nagar, New Delhi – 11007 [India]
    ( This book is available free of cost for Download on www.scribd.com ) ..RSS

Note: Some of the PURAANNAs and UPANESHADAs published by GITA PRESS GORAKHPUR really contain EXTREMELY useful reading material on YOGA and AYURVEDA/Aayurvaeda.
This reply was deleted.