Community on Yoga, Meditation, Ayurveda and Spirituality
In recent years, it has become very common for almost everyone to practice yoga (and we are not complaining) at their level.
Some like to practice it at home, some take group classes and some like to mix it up with their workout. It is wonderful to see people indulging in an incredible art form like yoga. Though, all these practices may probably be not enough to become a yoga teacher. You need a very firm base to start teaching yoga. What you need prior teaching and what are the prerequisites to become a yoga teacher.
Every point discussed below leads to the answer to how long you should practice yoga before teaching.
Prior to a Yoga Teacher
Before you decide to take a step ahead in order to become a yoga teacher, do ask these questions to yourself:
• Do you really want to do this or it is just a craze that will fade away with time?
• Are you ready to dedicate your whole life to this art form?
• Are you really ready to put all the hard work that goes into learning yoga and becoming a yoga teacher?
• Doing this for money, career or you are actually passionate about yoga?
• Are you inclined towards a specific aspect of yoga like Kundalini yoga, hatha yoga or Vinyasa yoga?
You may find the above questions useless, but these are very crucial to know whether you really want to be a teacher or it is just a phase which will pass.
Prerequisites to become a Yoga Teacher
There is some prerequisite that should be accomplished before moving ahead in the direction of becoming a yoga teacher.
• You should be regular, consistent and devoted in your yoga practice. No one becomes a yoga teacher in one day.
• If you are a novice, then practice yoga at home with the help of some YOUTUBE videos or DVDs
• If you can afford to join a studio or class or a group session where you can practice or at least learn or hear about yoga, do it.
• Attend seminars and workshops by various yogis and teachers to maximize your knowledge.
• Participate in yoga events in school or colleges and try to connect with more people who share the same passion for yoga as you do.
• To be precise, find out which yoga type you love the most, whether it is Ashtanga Yoga, Hatha Yoga or Iyengar Yoga. The clarity will help you to pursue teacher training programs.
• To be a teacher, you should have patience, dedication, and determination to improve and alleviate your students
• You should have the characteristics of someone who likes to share and impart knowledge.
Practice Required Becoming a Yoga Teacher
Performing and practicing yoga has no end. You have hardly ever heard any yogi say that he has completed his yoga practice. This is due to the reason that yoga is like a continuous journey, it never ends. There always would be a path to pursue.
Therefore, there is no fixed time period to say that practice up to this time makes one capable to teach yoga. However, regular practice with stern discipline helps you to improve and makes your present version better than your last one.
All the points in the prerequisite section are important to give your yoga practice a strong base to proceed further. If you have always been involved in yoga and been a regular practitioner then it will help you a lot. You can take a Yoga Teacher Training course to become a certified yoga instructor. The courses vary from one month to three or five months. For example, a 200 Hour Course takes a minimum of 28 days and it is for the people without any prior yoga certification. A 300 Hour Course takes 28 days too but it needs you to first complete 200 Hour Course.
Though keep in mind, taking these courses without any prior practice may prolong your time period of becoming a yoga teacher. YTT will only help you when you are consistent and disciplined with your practice.