Asanas and menstruation

I usually like doing Asanas during my period/menstruation. It really helps, relaxes and energizes me to do my Asanas then. I hear that some Yoga teachers say you should not do any Asanas or at least no inverted postures during your period. What is your experience? Do you practice Asanas during your period? (I am from Germany - I hope my English expressions are correct).

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes this is a common question that I get asked in my yoga class, in my experience there are so many variables, some women depending on their age and state of health have very difficult times with their periods, it can also be aggravated if they are using the coil as a method of contraception which induces a heavy period and increased blood flow.. some womans periods can last from two days to ten days so maybe stopping the asana practice for the just first two days might not be relevant.. The Apana vayu prana can be very sluggish or overly active so I do feel that the safest thing would be to just to stop the asana practice whilst menstruating.
  • Why can't a woman take a few days off. If you live to be a 120 years old, it's really not a big deal. maybe God during your 3-5 days off will show you some lessons you might not be able to see while in Asana ! How about when pregnant, many cultures allow the woman a year off. In the Bodywork world I suggest a preganant woman not do anything for the first 3 months of pregnancy so the "EGG" won't drop. The village has to raise the child so let's put everyone in a favorable position.
    I'm from America, I hope my English expressions are correct !!!

Gregg
    www.japanesemassage.net
    Japanese Massage HOT Videos
    Japanese Massage Videos - Watch Online
This reply was deleted.