Kanika asked the question: Which is more effective way of doing suryanamskar- holding on to each posture for a few seconds before moving on to the next one or making quick transitions without leaving much gap between postures???

You need to be a member of Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality to add comments!

Join Yoga Vidya International - Yoga, Meditation and Spirituality

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Shoumav added: i suggest to do slowly experiencing each posture if possible wit proper inhalation and exhalation.......
  • Shalini said: i suggest to do slowly experiencing each posture if possible wit proper inhalation and exhalation.......
  • Kanika added: Thanks Rajesh!
  • Rajesh said: My opinion is to do surya namaskara in a medium speed. For cardio and weight loss one has to perform other hatha yoga exersise also.
  • Kanika replied: Thanks guys for the suggestions. I generally do it slowly but someone told me that doing it fast makes for a better cardio and aids weight loss. Is that true?
  • Sita Ch. answered: There is a whole practice that revolves around surya namaskara, and you can do it as slowly as you want or as quickly as you want. There is an excellent book, "Surya Namaskara" by Swami Satyananda Saraswati http://www.amazon.com/Surya-Namaskara-Technique-Solar-Vitalization/...; it explains ... See Moreeverything you'd ever want to know.

Basically he explains that when you do the sequence more quickly, its major emphasis is on the pingala nadi. When you practice more slowly, less emphasis is given to pingala and more to mental development - "The practice transforms itself from a series of asanas to a series of mudras leading to more balanced development." Therefore, they recommend a combination of some fast and some slow.

I highly recommend the book. I refer to my copy fairly often.
  • Gautam answered: As much as I know, the most effective way of doing Sun Salutation is to align movement between postures with your breath. This is how I do it & i find it extremely effective.
  • Shoumav answered: slow and steady movements like an asana.. no need to stand at each position but definitely don't jerk as it is an asana and not excercise
This reply was deleted.